Sunday, September 5, 2010

Fabric Painting Workshop


Ten lucky ladies got together for a fabric painting workshop with Sonya Prchal last Saturday.  We got to admire Sonya's intricate painted whole cloth quilts and then we got to experiment with some paints ourselves.  Fun!!  Sonya makes it look easier than it is, of course, but I think we all ended up with beautiful and expressive sunsets and night skies.

One of my favourite parts of the day was watching Shirley take the plunge and try free-motion quilting.  You go girl!  And I'm looking forward to seeing Carol's piece when it's finished.  She used the painting time to experiment on a background for a landscape piece she was already working on. 

Here is as far as I got.  You can tell I was a little more hesitant with the paints than others!  I really had fun experimenting with a free motion zig-zag.  If you've never tried it before - grab a couple of scraps and have a go, it's a fantastic way to build up texture.  I've put extra wide borders on mine because I'm thinking I'll turn it into a cutting board bag. 

See you next time.

1 comment:

  1. Someone there is certainly very talented! LOVE the giraffe....
    :)

    ReplyDelete